How We Give
Phillips Charitable Foundation administers Grant Initiatives through the calendar year touching each of our funding areas. Our funding and priorities are carefully curated therefore we do not accept unsolicited grant requests. We do, however, want to get to know the good work that non-profit organizations are doing so please familiarize yourself with the information on this page. If you feel that your organizational mission aligns well with our values and areas of giving, we welcome you to introduce your organization by filling out our Contact Us form so we can learn about you.
Where We Give
We award grants to organizations for projects that are generally within the areas of Annapolis Maryland, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, and New York City.
What We Fund
Because we keep an open mind to giving opportunities, we intentionally have broad funding priorities in the following areas:
- Humanitarianism: Preserving human dignity through solution-driven endeavors to improve self-sufficiency
- Education: Innovative and engaging approaches to learning
Entities Eligible for Grants
- Organizations that are tax-exempt under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code
- Organizational mission aligns with Phillips Charitable Foundations’ mission, values and granting initiatives
- Organizations that demonstrate strong fiscal and managerial health
- Grants that will be used for and benefit groups in the United States of America
What We Like to Fund
- Projects that solve problems
- Projects that educate
- Projects that alleviate suffering
- Tangible items needed in your organization that are hindering you from moving your mission forward
Phillips Charitable Foundation grant applications are by invitation only and will be sent by email direct to the applicant. The formal grant application invitation will have a specific deadline by which we must receive the final application.
Unspent Funds Policy
We encourage and expect applicants to take particular care in submitting realistic and carefully cultivated financial needs of their organization. In signing a grant contract, it is conditional on the following: “any portion of grant funds unexpended at the end of the grant period shall be returned immediately to Phillips Charitable Foundation unless a request for an extension has been approved.”
See our Unspent Funds Policy to read our guidelines for unspent funds.
Receiving a competitive grant lends credibility to your organization and is a great opportunity for publicity. The publicity will help to build awareness about your organization's work in the community.
See our Publicity Page for a press release template and other information about publicity.
Post Grant Report
Our success as Grantmakers depends on our grantees’ impact and success. In an effort to assess this impact and use our resources wisely, grantees are required to complete a Grant Report. The information helps us to continuously improve our internal processes and future grantmaking decisions.
See our Grant Reporting page for information on reporting requirements and for a link to our online Grant Report.